Nutrition for Heart Failure Patients
- Limit sodium in your diet by not using salt in cooking or at the table.
- Small, frequent meals may be better tolerated.
- Fluids may need to be restricted. Check with your doctor.
- Weighing yourself daily is one way to monitor fluid weight gain.
- If fluids are restricted, try rinsing your mouth with mouthwash, or suck on hard candy or ice chips to quench your thirst.
- Include fiber with your balanced meals.
- If your appetite decreases, check with your doctor and dietitian about adding a nutrition supplement.
Contact your doctor before making any diet changes as related to your medical condition.
To make an appointment for nutrition counseling:
Outpatient diet counseling — 484-526-1000
Diabetes Center — 484-526-3025