Nutrition for Diabetes Patients
- Controlling your blood sugars is the main goal. Check with your doctor for your specific blood sugar range. The American Diabetes Association recommends 70-105 mg/dl.
- Do not skip meals. Eat three meals daily around the same time to be consistent.
- Keep portions to 1/2 cup to 1 cup.
- Drink skim, 1% or 2% milk.
- Do not drink regular sodas or pre-sweetened drinks. Only drink water, sugar-free sodas or artificially sweetened beverages.
- Cut down on fat and salt when preparing foods.
- Avoid regular sugar, honey and syrup.
- Limit regular desserts such as pies, cake and cookies to no more than two times a week.
- Avoid fried foods.
- Avoid second helpings.
- Avoid extra salt at the table. Convenience foods such as TV dinners, regular canned soups and instant soup mixes already contain extra salt.
Contact your doctor before making any diet changes as related to your medical condition.
To make an appointment for nutrition counseling:
Outpatient diet counseling — 484-526-1000
Diabetes Center — 484-526-3025